Friday, August 30, 2013

Cleveland Cultural Gardens Festival

Washington, DC had Martin Luther King’s March on Washington and in Cleveland we had 1 World Festival at The Cleveland Cultural Gardens. There was music, food trucks, performances and what I enjoyed most was exploring the gardens. I’m embarrassed to admit that I haven’t seen them up close; most of the time, I zoom past them either in my car or on my bike. One of my favorite times to view them, however, is in early spring when the daffodils are at full bloom. The garden glows in a yellow hue.

It was a beautiful event for those who attended. I already can’t wait for next year.

One World Day has been celebrated for the last 66 years; I have not heard about this event until I volunteered for the Cleveland Museum of Art’s Atrium opening. I meandered to the Cultural Gardens table where a representative informed me that they have an event every year. I told here that I will definitely be there in 2013.

This year, however, was a different event. The event was to celebrate the gardens with thousands of Northeast Ohioans who might not have visited before; and for those who’ve experienced the gardens – a rediscovery. Hence, this event is a precursor for the Centennial Celebration in 2016, which is not too far off.

The music reverberated throughout the gardens, the band “African Connection,” got the crowd moving and stamping their feet. At least I was moving what I could as I sat. The Greek Gardens had Hip Hop artists while the Italian Gardens had Bollywood style performances with a chance to learn some dance moves. The upper Italian introduced audiences to acrobatics where young girls hung and twirled from fabric engaging their core muscles. The British Garden performed Shakespeare’s, “Midsummer Night’s Dream.”

This was a culturally diverse event exposing you to various performances. The gardens and events were on two levels - Martin Luther King Blvd. and East Blvd. As I mentioned in the beginning, I mostly drive through on my way home therefore, I wasn’t aware that the gardens were on East Blvd. In my opinion, the East Blvd. gave you a chance to embrace the beauty while overlooking MLK in wonder - Why haven’t I experienced these gardens until now? I am sure many thought the same thing as they walked or pedaled a bike.

As in any Cleveland Festival, the food trucks were available to quench your thirst or relieve your hunger. The DonutLabCleveland, the smallest truck sat well after most of the crowd left. And if you wanted barbeque, B&M Bar-B-Que was there as well. Moreover, there was something for everyone.

I wasn’t there for the food; I wanted to explore how each garden was different; how each nationality was expressed. My favorite was the Hungarian Garden with its intricate ironwork arch and sculpted stone and grass. The Irish garden, my second favorite, was beautifully executed with the colorful flowering bushes and plants. I notice these intricacies since I absolutely love to “putter” in my yard where I try to create a dynamic garden using color and size diversity.

I also liked how the planning committee decided to shut down MLK, which created an uninterrupted experience to view the foliage. My only gripe is: the event was not publicized enough. If the goal was to have hundreds of Northeast Ohioans there, why wasn’t there a media blitz? Or if anything, cards promoting the event at local libraries, art galleries and/or places where people congregate. As a marketer I always think, how did I find out about this event or why didn’t I. Furthermore, the flyer I did pick up did not have any information about the Schedule of Ceremonies, “Parade of Flags” or Naturalization Ceremony.

A friend of mine attends every year. She decided not to attend this time because she thought it was the same. It wasn’t. I got there later and I enjoyed it immensely because it was about the gardens, nationality and togetherness as Northeast Ohioans. 

One World Festival
www.clevelandoneworldfestival.com

1 comment: