Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My Lake Erie

Photo taken in North Collinwood - The Spectacular Sunsets

I live two minutes from Lake Erie and I can’t image living anywhere else. I constantly scratch my head; why do I have to live by the lake? This large body of water flowing to the horizon and beyond; the unbelievably gorgeous sunsets. Everyone who loves sunsets says the same thing – they look different every night. These are my main reasons I image for living in North Collinwood.

I am drawn to the water’s majestic, tranquil quality. Funny I say this for I am not really a swimmer nor beachcomber. I do, however, pick up a plastic bottle or two from the beach. Moreover, I don’t really hang out on the beach under an umbrella or wear a bathing suit – far from it. My activity stems from my weekly runs where I gaze out in the early morning wondering how it was back in the turn of the century when Euclid Beach was in its prime. Sometimes I can hear the crowds or Laughing Sal enters my consciousness – she scared the crap out of me when our family often visited the park. I remember turning my back away from the fun house and Laughing Sal’s eery laughter echoing throughout the park. She stood high above the crowd rocking back-and-forth, which made her laughter even more chilling

I went to a Euclid Beach lecture where a slide show unveiled all the attractions – the main hangout for teenagers and families. The park sold peanuts, popcorn, popcorn balls  (they are still sold, I saw them at Marc’s) and candy kisses in one flavor wrapped in yellow; the lecturer said this soft-serve ice cream, “Frozen Whip” invented in 1919 has never been duplicated. The taste was to die for, so he said. I don’t remember eating it, but I must have at some point.

There is the “Rocket Ship Car®” that you can rent where it’s easily recognizable with crazy lights and a sleek silver bullet look. I don’t remember the park ride but it screams “Euclid Beach” when it cruises down the street. Fortunately, I had an opportunity to ride it during a summer party. Fast and furious; it was cool to see people’s expressions as you whizzed by in this monstrosity.

As I’m reading an online article, I wish I remembered more about this park. The park had a pier constructed so downtown residents has easily patronize the facility by boarding a chartered steamship for twenty-five cents round trip. Enterprising idea! Now, I run down the truncated pier thinking about all the people who once stood there marveling the lake view. If there is one time that I would like to visit, it would be the heyday of Euclid Beach Park.

These ideas of shows, live bands and a dance hall, visitors from Akron and Mansfield traveled north to experience this place. I remember the girls who I used to work with spoke highly about Euclid Beach. They went every Friday night to the dance hall probably meet up with a bunch of guys. I instantly thought; they were hooking up. Too much.

Old Photo downloaded from - The Cleveland Memory Project

In grade school, we had to do an art project on Euclid Beach Park. All I remember was using tempera paint to illustrate “Over the Falls.” Before doing any research, I had no idea what “Over the Falls” looked like nor what it must of felt like riding it. After our group found some old photos, it looked very fun, unlike anything like it back then. A roller coaster going into water along the lake. Sounds like the perfect summer “stay-cation.”

A Card I bought - The Nostalgic Euclid Beach Park

When I run through Euclid Beach, I wish in a way I could run through the amusement park as the rides were moving at full throttle. I know they are currently restoring the carousel (named Carrousel) that will be housed at The Western Reserve Historical Society but it’s not the same if it remained along the lake. Euclid Beach only has a few remnants of the past: The iconic Euclid Beach Park arch; Near the apartments, a small bridgewhere the Turnpike Car ride went underneath; track for the Turnpike Cars; A few weathered ticket stands in the nearby trailer park. That is all that’s left on the premises of a very popular park.

As I think about Euclid Beach Park as we just had a Beach Blast Festival on Saturday, August 3. There was a photo-op where you can stand by the pier and put on some nostalgic glasses or hats. My understanding is more than 1500 people attended; fantastic patronage. Now that the Cleveland Metroparks has taken over the park, I hope soon more people will visit. The view and sunsets are spectacular. Nothing like it in Northeast Ohio.



Euclid Beach Blast, First Saturday in August
http://euclidbeachblast.tumblr.com


Remembering the Sights and Sounds of Euclid Beach Park (Last Sunday in September)
www.euclidbeach.org


History on Euclid Beach Park
http://www.grayco.com/cleveland/books/28892/sample.shtml#.Ug5mHIXDPV0


Laughing Sal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZcb74emOB4


Cleveland Memory Project - Over the Falls Ride
http://images.ulib.csuohio.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/postcards/id/266/rec/15


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this precious information i really appropriate it.

    Shipping Car From Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bag Signs are printed both sides with uv protection heavy frames with black lining for long run. We at signarama take care of products quality and delivery on time with best cost so our clients will easily supply their goods and services these printed bags. we deliver our services and products richmond hill Canada.



    ReplyDelete