Friday, August 2, 2013

Volunteering at the Senior Games

Photo by Anne Marie Witmer

I waved goodbye to my car as I pedaled to my volunteer shift at the Senior Games. I was determined to be more sustainable and leave my car at home. The one thing to consider when biking or using public transportation, you have to be organized. Moreover, you have to leave earlier than you normally do if your using a car. For example for my shift at Case Western Reserve University, I left one hour and ten minutes early. I over estimated my arrival time but it’s better to add some time than run late.

As I biked through East Cleveland along Euclid Avenue, I spotted a few athletes waiting for the HealthLine and a car was toting a bicycle. I enthusiastically gave them a thumbs up as my anticipation mounted for my first shift. I made a left turn onto Adelbert Road, and parked my bike at Veale Center. Honestly, I was nervous what my role would entail as a Table Tennis score keeper.

When you deal with a huge venue such as the Senior Games, there is bound to be volunteers that don’t show up. In actuality, if an event depends on volunteerism, no shows are a given. Since table tennis was a practice day, the Horseshoe event needed score keepers. I instantly changed my role - a horseshoe scorekeeper.

Horseshoes

I don’t know about you but I’ve never played horseshoes nor watched it being played. Much less how the scoring works. A group of us volunteers listened carefully as the official explained how the scoring works. “Oh, once you have one sheet under your belt, the rest is ‘easy peasy’!” “All right, I thought. But, I’m already confused.”

I’m a smart person; I’ll figure it out.

I walked to my scoring section, 6. The participants couldn’t have been more helpful; they call out the score and you write it down. There is a “seeded” ranking and the lower of the two participants call the score. I was still apprehensive; I didn’t want to mess up if they get “hardware” or not.

Two women walked up to me; my name is Moe and I will call out the score. I couldn’t tell how old they were but they were up there. They were throwing these shoes like it was “nothin.” Moe hit the vertical pole I don’t know how many times. She ended up with a high 40 score - very good and at least 9 ringers. “Ringers” is when the shoe goes around the vertical pole. You throw two shoes each time in a soft, clay “pit” then the next participant throws two. After you throw into one pit, you turn in the opposite direction and throw two more into the next pit. This goes on until you get to 30 shoes - round 1 is complete.

The scorekeeper turns in the paper sheet to the official. Yes, there are no electronic devices; it’s done the old fashion way, paper and pencil. That is only round one, the participants continue for 7 rounds. Do the math, that is a lot of shoes to throw! Besides, these shoes have weight to them, not some lightweight material.

These rounds continued the entire morning; the same women continued to throw as I finished my shift. I had a blast. Just as the official said, after I turned in my first sheet, a light bulb went off in my head. “Duh! A ringer is when the shoe hugs the pole.

The participants thanked me for volunteering. Incredible experience! I will cherish this day at Case Western Reserve University amongst the wind turbine scoring horseshoes. These women will forever remind me that getting up in age doesn’t mean you can’t do anything. These athletes remind us all that age is just a number, right!

Hammer Throw

To recap my volunteer stint for the Senior Games, I became a “Hammer Throw” retriever. Just like my horseshoe experience, the Hammer Throw was just as memorable. If you have ever seen this bizarre event on t.v. or not, the women who I saw throw this thing were amazing. It is a shot put ball at the end of a long wire with a handle at the end. The participant stands in the box within a cage and spins this wire and releases it. One thing to remember, when a participant is in the “cage” you do not look away from the “hammer.” Once you do, you will get hit. One of the officials mentioned how she got hit once by an amazing athlete from Brooklyn. Ouch! Major ouch!

This hammer was awkward and kind of heavy. The length of the hammer was almost to my shoulder (4 feet) and I’m a short 5’ 1.” The women’s hammer is slightly lighter than the men; seven to eight pounds versus fourteen to sixteen. This is a skilled event. One of the women said to me, “Next year I want to see you throwing a hammer.”  What a hoot!

What I enjoyed most about the games were the athletes. They helped each other and displayed professionalism.

Race Walk

In this event I was a lap counter for six athletes. The official gives you a list of numbers and when you see your number cross the line you enthusiastically call out, “Number 139, you have 4 laps to go.” Actually, my number 139 received the silver in the men’s race. I was very excited. In fact, all of us counters cheered all the numbers as they crossed the finish line. What an accomplishment especially for these 80-year-olds.  There was only one woman in the 80-year-old and over category that won the gold metal. She stood alone at the top of the podium raising her arms to the applause.

They walk faster than I run. Amazing to watch.

I had a wonderful time talking and watching these wonderful athletes participating in the games. It will be one of my most memorable volunteering experiences.

Next year, the Gay Games August 9 – 16, 2014.

www.GG9CLE.com

No comments:

Post a Comment