Thursday, September 12, 2013

Summer Mode

I’m having the Fall Blues. I realize as I’m sitting here gazing out into the blazing hot sun that summer is practically over. It doesn’t seem so as the temperature will reach 90 degrees today on September 10. Even so, I crave the sunshine and activities that summer brought this year. It seems like I keep revisiting all the things I was able to do and some that I completely missed. Summer is the time of year that I wait for all year long. Summer is just too short.

This summer I tried to ride my bike to some events but I wasn’t as successful as I should have been. I rode to a few of my Transformer Station volunteer shifts on Saturdays, the Garden Walk and the Larchmere Arts Festival in early July. I could have done more to reduce my car emissions and get exercise to boot. I guess it was better than nothing. I find excuses that I need my car to transport my computer or I need to go to the grocery store. On a positive note, I am seeing more bike riders traveling to their destinations. I am also seeing more cars getting angry that cyclists are clogging their precious streets. Please share the road. Like it or not, there are more cyclists opting to pedal than operating a vehicle. Get over it!

I did walk down my street for the North Collinwood free concert series that began in early June until August 30. There was Eighty’s music and blues; there were local bands and some from New York. Local residents gathered along with others from other neighborhoods listening to fabulous tunes and gazing out along Lake Erie. The sunsets are different every time – the sky glows in brilliant orange and red; other times there is a thin pink line along the horizon. The clouds interrupted the sun. That is what makes living along the lake so special. These unexpected pleasures.


Transformer Station

The Transformer Station in July was the place to be. There were five fantastic concerts at the same caliber as the Cleveland Museum of Art’s Solstice Party. The first night, a husband and wife team (Amadou & Mariam) performed an Afro-pop sound that reached well beyond West 29 and Church. The first night was a hit-or-miss that maybe a few residents will patrol the street just to see what band will be performing. Some thought it would be some local talent. To everyone’s surprise, the performers were outside the U.S. playing on a giant stage. The word-of-mouth of these stellar performances got out that by July 31, people couldn’t wait to experience these concerts. I’m still thinking about them; I hope they will add more in 2014. Pencil it in!

Not only were there free concerts all over the city, but art. I mentioned the Transformer Station with Todd Hido’s, Silver Meadows retrospective that highlighted photos and characters that made you think – what is going on here? Winter scenes and women in stiletto heels. Every time I walked through the door, I saw something that sparked a new thought.



Cleveland Print Room

Recently, I headed out to Cleveland Print Room to view these beautiful black-and-white portraits that were amazing. The photographer used FILM and took the time to “look” at his subjects. I was struck by how clear his images were. I felt immediately immersed into the culture and country sides of Africa and Asia. One of my favorite images was an intimate view of a woman (the wrinkles and blemished skin) dressed in black where the hard work she endured was easily seen - her eyes a metaphor into her soul. She reminded me of Greek widows in Greece dressed head-to-toe in black. You can feel their every day struggles – their expressionless faces. Eyes piercing the photo paper. I didn’t know them but I can emphasize with them.



Carrie Mae Weems

The Cleveland Museum of Art has a retrospective of Carrie Mae Weems on view until September 29. Again, I love black-and-white photographs and Weems has a brilliant array that boldly addresses race, gender and class - the clarity alone transports you into the artists viewpoint. Her “coffee table” series makes you think: what it’s like to live in poverty; raising a child and reflecting on choices you’ve made. A woman is sitting at the “kitchen table” where everyday things happen – she is helping her daughter with homework; she is arguing with her husband or significant other. It’s mundane scenarios where discussions and “real life” happens at the kitchen table.

My favorite, however, is the black-and-white video titled: “Cornered.” There are two video screens that are hung in a corner where the 1960s Boston riots are happening. I like the concept of polarization where neither side is listening. The riots occurred because schools were forced to desegregate - forced busing. This continually happens today when everyone talks and/or shouts. You do feel “cornered” where you don’t know where to go.

Everyone can’t wait to wear their fall clothes consisting of turtlenecks, closed-toe shoes and wool pants. No thank you. Just give me my sandals and sundresses, please!

Fall Events

Ingenuity Festival - September 20, 21, and 22.

http://ingenuitycleveland.com

Sparx City Hop - Saturday September 21, 11am until 9PM

http://www.downtowncleveland.com/events/sparx-city-hop.aspx

Chalk Festival at the Cleveland Museum of Art - Saturday and Sunday, September 21 and 22
http://www.clevelandart.org/

Cleveland Botanical RIPE Festival - September 21 and 22
www.cbgarden.org

No comments:

Post a Comment