Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Summer with Max

Photo by Anna Chanakas at #ParadetheCircle



I spent much of this past summer with my sister’s dog, Max – a cocker-doodle. Max became a member of the family late February, officially adopted in March. As a rescue, we didn’t know what his past was so I couldn’t wait until the summer events began so he can experience some new smells. 

Max’s first event was Wade Oval Wednesday on June 11, 2014, to the musical performance of Coast2Coast. My sister brought Max at the end of Martin Luther King drive and I drove to the Cleveland Museum of Art’s lagoon. One thing about Max, he loves being outside. He knows when you get your shoes on and grab the leash, he is going out for a walk. He gets so excited that he jumps about a foot off the ground; he can’t sit still when you try to get he collar on. Eventually he calms down enough to clip the leash onto his collar – he anxiously pulls ahead to find his first smell. 

Me and Max went around the lagoon with his head down low, one inch above the ground. He was so excited about the lagoon that he walked right then left – there was so much to take in. I was just as excited as he was. I enjoyed watching him tour the lagoon grounds. 

Max in his new Bed 

It was somewhat awkward since I had to carry my fold-up chair and food for the little guy; then I had to maneuver the leash to make sure Max didn’t get too close to the crowd. 

We sat back behind the crowd. I didn’t want Max to invade other people’s space. This outdoor venue was new to him. His nose was going crazy with all the food smells. He pulled on the leash trying to taste some sausage and peppers. To Max’s point, it did smell delicious. With all the people around, Max did well. 

The second thing about Max – he is a people magnet. I was walking Max around the perimeter of the oval and the next thing I know a little girl appears and says, “Can I pet your dog?” I was taken aback. Max was somewhat anxious and I told the girl and her mother, “Let him smell you.” The girl pet his back carefully and Max jerked some. I knew all this excitement was just too much for him. I told them Max is a rescue and we better keep on walking. They were fine with that and they continued on. “Thank you,” they said.

Another woman said, “What kind of dog is that? I told her the type of dog Max was and she couldn’t believe it. She said she had the same exact dog and his name was Max also. She also said that he lived for sixteen years. That sounds good to me. Everyone that stopped me said, “He is just so cute.” Yep, the entire summer – Max got all the cutie points. 

The next venue, Parade the Circle. This time my sister attended and we walked down MLK to the Parade. Max was excited and anxious at the same time. It was a cool June so I wore layers of clothing. Max was getting a little better when he saw other dogs – he didn’t growl at all of them, just the ones larger than him. I didn’t spend that much time with Max at the Parade since it was my sister’s dog and she wanted to “show him off.” They got close to the parade where bold Max wanted to see so he put his paws onto someone else’s cooler. So cute!



One of my favorite events in July is the Cleveland Museum of Art Ohio City Stages at the Transformer Station. They were a success last year with a crowded West 29 Street. Everyone was out – dogs, children, Great Lakes beer and food trucks. And yes, Max was by my side for all five of those concerts. What is so interesting about these concerts unlike anything else in town was the versatility - one of my favorites was, Conjunto Chappottin y Sus Estrellas. They were from Cuba (top Cuban son groups on the latin music scene)Cuban  and didn’t speak too much English but the music overpowered the entire street. Everyone was out either dancing, eating or taking in the music. July went so fast. 

Max sat by my chair and trying to get his share of snacks. The girls I sat with toted pretzels, tiny sausages, nuts and fruit. Max knows that if he “sits” he will get rewarded with a treat. Everyone loved him so he got his snacks. We were all pushovers. 

Max also got more comfortable with other dogs. He sniffed and they responded. I think this year was even more special than last because it was a new experience as Max won our hearts. 

Who doesn’t just love summer! I’m counting the days until next year. 

My entire summer I tried to include Max in as many outdoor events as possible. Mostly it was Wade Oval Wednesdays and the Ohio City Stages music venue. I just enjoyed being outdoors listening to music and meeting new people. Life is better with a dog as you see things how they might see them. Their excitement spills over into your own. 

What can I say, I’m so proud when someone asks, “What kind of dog is that? He’s just so stinkin’ cute.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment