Friday, October 10, 2014

Tenth Anniversary Ingenuity Festival - September 26-28 2014

Ingenuity Website - Tesla Performance


One of my favorite event for the fall is Ingenuity. Since they were celebrating their Tenth Anniversary, I couldn’t wait to experience it. I walked down to Warehouse 32 through the outdoor Rock and Roll Hall of Fame path where I immediately saw vendors. A row of vendors and food trucks with an outdoor stage playing some wonderful music by Honeybucket. So far so good, I thought. I continued on and walked further where this wonderful path overlooking the lake was blocked off (This is where the festival was last year, right along the lake). Then I walked into Warehouse 32 and half the warehouse was closed off. 

What is going on I thought? Where is the festival? Did I walk pass the art and missed all the cool stuff? 

Nope! That was the entire festival - two band stages, a few food trucks and vendors selling T-shirts, dog bandanas, and nostalgic items (The Cleveland Flea). What happened to the festival that I looked forward to all year? 

That didn’t happen this year. I so disappointed that I was bored in about 30 minutes. I continued to walk toward the Science Center still thinking I missed it. Nothing blew me away. The only word that summed up my experience is “lame.” It looked like they through it together at the last minute. 

I only bumped into a few people that I knew - their expression was the same as mine. Where is the “ Ingenuity?”

I remember when they had the first Ingenuity under the Detroit Superior Bridge, I was in awe. They had artwork displayed in these nook and crannies. I walked back and forth in disbelief. What a cool space! What an inventive idea. That’s all I thought about.

I listened to bands from Brooklyn and dance performances under the bowels of the earth. Opera at the top of these old, dilapidated steps. Artwork hung in an old abandoned bathroom. Subway cars sitting idle and steps overflowing with water. It was mesmerizing. I can’t believe I’ve never been down here. I was tired but continued to walk in case I missed something. That’s Ingenuity of years past.

The first Ingenuity was along Euclid Avenue before Cleveland’s resurgence. There was a stage sitting in the middle of the street with wonderful performances. There was artwork in abandoned alleyways that you didn’t dare go to at night. Who knows who might be lurking in the shadows. That’s what made Ingenuity so special - it brought a festival to these out of the way places that you would never think would be cool! 

The first Ingenuity was a little spread out where they had artwork at the Galleria, which I think had a trolley car taking you there. I remember not going since it was out of the way. (I did go on a quiet Saturday afternoon, where East 12 was kind of spooky back then). Plus, I think the old AmeriTrust rotunda was open –I missed that too. My sister and I hung out along Euclid Avenue embracing this unusual event in the middle of Downtown. I have to applaud Thomas Mulready and James Levine for bringing this event into Downtown when many were afraid to come.

The following year, Ingenuity took East 4th Street by storm. There was nothing there except a few shops that nobody ever heard of. I remember sitting on a chair listening to a band on a dilapidated East 4th and looking to my left at an abandoned, open building where artwork was hung and performances going on. I was intrigued that someone had the vision to turn something so unappealing into an art venue. Again, that’s what Ingenuity was - bringing people to a place you’ve never been and seeing it in a new light. 

Year after year, Ingenuity brought you there. One year, I remember a group trying to save the old Ameritrust Tower that was designed by Marcel Breuer. It was in the old Cowell & Hubbard building that is now a Zack Bruell restaurant. That event opened my eyes to the importance of keeping this nostalgic building. In fact, my architecture friend participated in a march to “save the building” from the recking ball. Finally, I walked by there a few weeks ago and it is a high-end hotel, Metropolitan 9. Once nobody wanted this eyesore on Ninth Street, now it glistens as a new upcoming area. 

I experienced many unusual artists as I attended Ingenuity. Under the bridge was my favorite venue – my favorite art installation was by Qian where she embraced her Asian roots by having these red illuminated lanterns floating on water. I still remember this work after three years. It was so peaceful that it pulled my heart strings. 

I understand you can’t use The Bridge year after year – it will lose it’s effectiveness as a cool venue. But seriously, for Ingenuity’s Tenth Year Anniversary, they showed me nothing creative or inspiring that I have to tell everyone you must attend!  This was the same venue as the last two years. Couldn’t you surprise me with something that “blew me away” that I have not seen in the last ten years?  

The music was good; this electric, Tesla music where performers were in this booth and electricity was producing this cool sound; the band, Commonwealth was great. 



All I can say is, I should of stayed home.

Saving Ameritrust Tower

Ingenuity History

No comments:

Post a Comment