Tuesday, September 9, 2014

One Car, One Bike

Logo design - Toni J. Chankas



The past few weeks, my sister and I have been sharing “One Car and One Bike” to get around. It’s not as easy as it sounds. All I can say is, you have to be organized and bring the necessary items you need for the rest of the evening. For example, when you switch from your car to your bike, you will need your wallet and house keys; then stow away your purse in the trunk and retrieve it later when you get your car back. 

We take our car for granted as a storage unit for extra shoes, sweater, gym bag and yoga mat. You have to relinquish all that when you transfer from car to bike. You now have to carry everything with you and if you want to stop off at the store, you can’t unless you have a place to put your groceries. I, on the other hand, don’t have a basket or any extra bags on my bike; most of the time I ride with a backpack and store the items I will need. 

One Friday night, I met my sister at Felice in the Larchmerre district – I drove; she biked; then, I lent her the car and I biked home. I had to make sure I had my helmet and biking pants to endure the bumpy road home. I also had to be cognizant of the time– when does it get dark? And give myself enough time to get home before then. Hence, you don’t have time to grab a bite to eat because that takes time – I drank a beer quickly and then I was off. Honestly, it felt liberating to bike with the fresh air upon my face as I maneuvered through the traffic. 

I’m a crazy fool because I take the shortest route possible so I ride through East Cleveland. Many of my friends think I’m nuts. Probably, but I’ve taken the route so many times that it doesn’t occur to me that something might happen. As long as I ride in the daylight – I’m good.

Ha, Ha I thought as I rode past SUV’s and cars that take up an entire lane; at least I’m not wasting gas and polluting the environment. It was okay for a few weeks and I got some good exercise in. 

What is frustrating, however, is all the honking and drivers looking at you like your an idiot for invading “their space!” One driver yelled at me for being in the road. She honestly thought that bikers are not allowed in the street. Another person beeped so loud that they thought I had no clue they were behind me. I ride with my ears; meaning I do not wear ear buds. They whiz past you without much clearance. Scary!

Drivers have become bold and hate when they see bikers.”Get over it,” I think. You will be seeing more of us. 

Before my sister needed my car, I’ve tried to bike when I can especially my volunteer stint at the Transformer Station on West 29. Most of the time, I volunteer on Saturday so I bike it. As I stressed above, you have to bring everything with you. This means a change of clothing because most of the time I can’t bike 12 miles with a pair of shorts – biking shorts are a necessity; trust me.

Why do I bike? As I’ve become older, I think a lot about the environment and my carbon footprint. If I can reduce it by a tiny bit on a Saturday or Sunday, then I will do it. As I stated above, I have to add more time to my destination. Much of the time it’s very windy that I almost turn back and get my car – a very easy habit. I hang tough and continued pedaling. Once I get to my destination – I feel successful that I got there by my own power. 

As I ride, I think about the week’s past and what I need to accomplish. I look at the tiny details that is normally overlooked as you drive past at 35 MPH. Going back to East Cleveland, I see the city as it once was – a thriving metropolis with old architectural details that is not built now. All we have is glass and flat board without anything innovative where you say to yourself, “Wow that’s a gorgeous building.” Mostly it’s boring!

What I learned from the biking experience is that you can get to your destination by other modes of transportation – bike and/or bus. I wish I had a short commute where I can use my bike more during the week but I do what I can. I also value my rusted, older car that I have providing my short commute and allowing me to cart my crap. 

My sister finally bought her new car and I have my car back. I will continue to bike; it is doubtful she will borrow my bike again. That’s fine with me. I will cherish the two weeks that I biked a few extra days and breathing the last of the summer breeze. 

Next bike trip, One World Festival at the Cultural Gardens September 13 and 14, 2014. 


No comments:

Post a Comment