Saturday, January 4, 2014

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2014



As I sit in Church a few days before Christmas, the priest recites in his sermon that everyone should keep in mind what the true meaning of Christmas really is. It is not shopping until 1 a.m. at all the major retailers. I concur with the priest’s statement. I kept thinking about what he said throughout my day as I stood in my kitchen making dozens of thumbprint cookies. Why do I stand there for hours making cookies? I enjoy baking cookies but mostly it’s the act of giving them to my family. It’s my joy for the holidays –creating something that gives others joy.

For me the meaning of Christmas is not the gifts; it’s being with family members and partaking in eating food that ultimately joins us. It’s sharing and being thankful for all the things that have affected your life.

Every Christmas Eve, I painstakingly roll cabbage into my mother’s famous “stuffed cabbage” recipe.  I never thought in my wildest dreams I would ever make them quite like hers. She had the knack or I think of her talent in creating delectable food. Everything she made was delicious. Moreover, she made everything from scratch that at the time was unlike what other families were doing.
Photo courtesy of http://www.maplespice.com

Most of the time, I was embarrassed when she made (“spanakopita” - spinach filled pie) and asked me if I wanted to take it to school for lunch. “No!” I replied. “Everyone at school will laugh at me.” Now when I think back, I can almost taste her “spanakopita” sizzling out of the oven; the aroma filled the kitchen. I stood in front of the oven anticipating when it will be done.

My mom made the phyllo dough from scratch that would take her most of the morning. She would often ask me, “Antonia, do you think you will ever be able to make it on your own?” So far, I haven’t attempted it but I’ve made “spanakopita” with ready-made phyllo dough. It tastes fine but it’s definitely not the same as mom’s.

Regarding my mom’s phyllo dough, she was the best in making this ultra thin pastry dough. Furthermore when she migrated to the United States, she showed all her friends how to make it from scratch. She learned this skill from her aunt in Philadelphia. I got the better end of the deal because I ate her “pita” - generic term for Greek pie stuffed with various vegetables such as leeks (my favorite): spinach, squash or feta cheese (white goat cheese) all the time. Sometimes she made it monthly or whenever she felt like making it. She complained that it took so long but I know deep down she enjoyed the process of making her own phyllo. I definitely inherited her gift of baking. I don’t think I’ve ever baked anything that was inedible. I guess I’m patting myself on the back like my mother often did. When you have the knack to bake, it’s a unique gift.

Courtesy of http://www.cookingforkeeps.com


Hence that is what Christmas is to me, eating my mom’s cooking. She also made these butter cookies with brandy, almonds and powdered sugar ("kourabiedes"). They melted in your mouth unlike anything I’ve had in a long time. She often made them for parties or wedding showers where everyone ate them knowing who made them. They were amazed how delicious they were. My mother embraced those positive remarks. She often told me in confidence how bad other people’s attempts were – they didn’t cook them right or they didn’t add enough brandy or baking power. Regardless of everyone’s attempt – hers were the best.

My mom has been gone from my life for almost 10 years and I miss her dearly every day. I see her in my “stuffed cabbage,” baked goods and turkey that I make on Thanksgiving that’s not dry or over cooked. I work hard to cook and bake things that others will enjoy eating. I make sure I add the right ingredients so they won’t go into the trash. I was brought up never wasting food so I work just as hard as she often did to make food that is eaten. Most of the time, I throw together a bunch of vegetables, onions, garlic and tomatoes. The basic ingredients everyone needs to make any food taste like “food.”

For this Christmas, I honor my mother who gave me my gift for baking and cherish the people I meet. Be friendly and smile she would always say. Merry Christmas Mom where ever you are. You are forever in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment