Monday, December 30, 2013

Holiday Season 2013

I wrote this post on December 6. Hopefully, everyone had a wonderful Holiday and Happy New Year 2014.
Photo Courtesy of Bonfoey Gallery Website
Like it or not, the Holidays are among us. One minute I am sweltering in ninety degree heat and now I’m wearing four layers of clothing when I go out for my weekly run. As a summer lover, I’m beginning to get in the Holiday spirit as the snow blanketed my freshly washed car. I was a beautiful sight.

I walked along Waterloo’s First Friday event checking out what local artists made for the Holiday sale. As a boycotter of “Black Friday,” I would rather spend a few extra dollars and support my neighborhood than stand in a congested line of people gnawing their way to find the best bargains. I say, “No thank you.” as I lay in my comfortable bed well past 6 a.m. when “Big Box” stores open. Go for it and find those bargains. My sister said that most manufacturers produce special products specifically for “Black Friday” so who knows if you’re really getting a deal or not.

Waterloo Arts Holiday Gifts – I adored looking at origami earrings an artist created by their own hand or a moulded “one-of-a-kind” pottery where each piece looks different such as a tiny imperfection or crack makes it something a receiver will cherish. These pieces were more expensive for sure but if you’re looking for something that you won’t find at Walmart, it is worth it. The gallery was crowded when I walked in. Moreover, Cleveland State University students created ornaments by filling them with different confetti patterns selling them in gift bags as a fund-raiser.

Next up, I attended the Bonfoey Gallery’s 120 year anniversary. They exhibited paintings and prints from as far back as the 1940s. A series from an artist who drew in either pencil or charcoal the different areas of downtown – beautifully rendered where you’re amazed how different downtown looks today. There were other paintings that were simple – one that got my attention were these striking green trees in a somber, quiet scene that reminded me of Matisse.

Bonfoey Gallery 120 years of art in Cleveland - These paintings will be on display until Saturday, January 4, 2014.
This is the exact print I own -
courtesy of Viktor Schreckengost website


Plus, the Bonfoey hung a Viktor Schreckengost of playful yet detailed leaves and fruit masterfully done where I just stood and marveled his talent. He illustrates mundane items that come alive as you look at the canvas. He is one of my favorite Cleveland Artists. In honor of Viktor’s 100 year birthday in 2006, I bought a print of Antelopes intertwined at the neck – 5/15. It’s hung in my living room and when I look at it I remember meeting Viktor with his strong handshake telling his nostalgic stories when he was a young saxophone player.

I’ve often sit at the Cleveland Heights Library on Lee Road in the quiet reading room and Viktor is all around me with his iconic vibrant blue “Jazz Bowl” and two giant colorful prints near by: one of a buffet table with a quartered watermelon sitting on a brightly colored, stripped tablecloth; next is a skyline of tall, statuesque buildings – perhaps New York City against an orange, yellow and red sky. Behind me, there is a print of fish stacked in rows of muted greens and browns. You can see his brilliance emanating from these pieces and the care he takes in illustrating the intricate details with flair.

This Holiday season, I wandered through many art and craft shows marveling the talent of artistic Clevelanders. One stand a couple created plaques with used license plates and novelty items such as key chains. Another stand created Arts & Crafts styled lamps with Cleveland nostalgic bridges and iconic areas of the city. Lastly, an artist drew plants and flowers on light switch plates that I thought, “What a fantastic idea.” There were many jewelry tables where the items were beginning to look the same to me. Either way, I highly recommend buying from local vendor than standing in an endless line at Target or worse, Walmart.

As Christmas is only a few days away now, I’m glad I did most of my shopping at these “one of a kind” establishments. I have mentioned this on more than one occasion, buy local; that’s what will ultimately get our economy moving again.

Viktor Schreckengost
http://www.cmgww.com/historic/viktors/index.html

Viktor’s Animals
http://www.cmgww.com/historic/viktors/gallery/2d/animals.html

Bonfoey Gallery
http://www.bonfoey.com/index.html

Waterloo Arts
http://artscollinwood.org/

Screw Factory Artists' Studios
http://www.screwfactoryartists.com/

ArtCraft Studio Show
http://artcraftstudio.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment