Tuesday, December 10, 2013

MOCA - Elegant Sculpture at Mayfield and Euclid

Update: I wrote this post prior to my National Writing Month endeavor. A little late, but here was my MOCA experience back in early October. If you haven’t seen the museum, I highly recommend it.



Courtesy Photo from MOCA Cleveland Flickr Account

One year after the MOCA grandiose gala opening, I enthusiastically volunteered my time again; this year it’s the HEX fundraiser. Unlike last year, the weather cooperated where I was able to wear a sleeveless dress. My favorite duty as a volunteer is the check-in table; it’s the best way to see who’s attending–the whose-who of any event.

You are the greeter and the first person attendee’s see before they enter. It’s an important job, quite frankly. I’m a people person, so this job comes easily to me; I enjoy it.

Attendees wore elaborate dresses or a trendy electric top with tights; anything goes. It’s a contemporary museum for goodness sakes. I remember a lot of blue especially these high platform exquisite blue-suede-shoes; a brilliant red purse with fur trim; gold and fur prints. It was a party where you can wear what feels right.

Everyone was excited to attend another MOCA fundraiser in a sculptural interesting yet bizarre building that’s nothing like it in Cleveland except perhaps the Peter B. Lewis at Case. I heard someone call it a “hunk of coal” and now that is how I think of it. “It’s that black shinny coal building on Euclid and Mayfield.” You either love it or hate it. I don’t think there is a middle ground.

Courtesy of MOCA Cleveland


MOCA does, however, have an amazing view of Euclid Avenue from the fourth floor. There are these narrow windows where you gaze onto The Toby Plaza below. There is just enough light where you can see dark figures walking along the street or looking right up at you. The shinny material on the building just glows in the moonlight – it is a conversation starter, for sure. 

Last year when I attending the volunteer orientation meeting, we had a “sneak preview” of the building. The staff said that it took longer to build and install the metal and concrete “grand staircase” than erect the building itself. As you walk up the steps, you can feel the strength of the staircase as you ascend to each level. My favorite, yet scary, part of the staircase is looking down. There are these dramatic, sculptural beams as you look down, it almost takes your breath away. It’s an unbelievable view that you wouldn’t expect by looking at it from the outside.

Moreover, there is a stairwell hidden underneath, painted yellow that doesn’t seem as difficult to climb. You won’t notice it until you open the door from the first floor. You feel disconnected, isolated from the rest of the building as you go up or down. If you must, there is an elevator.

Do I like this building? Yes, I do. Why? Because there isn’t that many unusual buildings here in Cleveland. As a creative individual, I love architecture and art that makes me pause and look around at the unusual view points. Another interesting aspect of the MOCA building, it looks entirely different from the inside – a clean, minimal contemporary interior with white, flush doors that go into the restrooms, to the open floor plan of the Free first floor – artists talks and events are featured here.

Not only is MOCA a sculptural art form but it’s a very sustainable building. The Toby Plaza uses  pervious material where rainwater is absorbed thus eliminating runoff. There are low-flush toilets with blowers to dry your hands. I was ecstatic when I saw this bathroom – very European.

This bold, dramatic black building is worth a look-see that has helped spur development in the neighborhood with new townhouses and apartments. First Saturdays are always free.   

MOCA Cleveland
http://www.mocacleveland.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment