Thursday, January 16, 2014

Out and About Town

My problem is I can’t say, No! “Do you want to volunteer for the Cleveland Museum of Art’s monthly MIX event?” “Sure,” I say. I’m glad I did because it was a fun event. Thank goodness I got “wristband” duty where you check everyone’s ticket and making sure they are wearing a “wristband.” As I mentioned many times before, I like being at the check in table so I can see all the people attending the event. I ended up seeing friends I haven’t seen and I was thrilled by the diverse crowd. There were some grumbling when the scheduled DJ Rekha was stuck in New York due to the blizzard we had a few days before. It couldn’t be helped. Through the cold and snowy conditions, the event was very crowded – a success.

My usual job at MIX is patrolling the escalators in making sure that everyone who passes has a wristband and not taking drinks into the galleries. You would think that museum goers would understand that you can’t drink amongst artwork that is worth millions. I heard that at the Annual Solstice Party that people think since they are a donor they are excused. “No, sorry.” The artwork is still worth a lot of money no matter what your donor status is.

After my shift, I met up with friends and danced for over an hour to “Bollywood” music. It’s not something I gravitate towards but it was thrilling to see people dancing. The DJ was good on such short notice. As an added bonus, the atrium had this giant disco ball cycling around as it projected different colors along the 1916 building. The next MIX event is February 7, 2014 around the creativity theme.

Believe it or not, one of my favorite things to see at the museum is the weekly flower arrangement that the Women’s Council creates. Every time I stop by, it is breathtaking and different every time. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a duplicate arrangement or floral choice. I stand in wonderment how creative these women are to display such beauty.

Even though I can’t utter the word, No, I’m happy to help out at the world renowned institution such as the Cleveland Museum of Art.

When I’m not volunteering, I attend gallery openings.


Photo courtesy of Cleveland Print Room web site


The Cleveland Print Room Vivian Maier: Out of the Shadows
January 10 - February 23, 2014.

My favorite event this week was the “out-of-this-world” photography by Vivian Maier at the Cleveland Print Room. The compositions and light and dark contrasts were captivating. I walked around numerous times to get the full affect of photographs that were not seen until 2007. Maier was a nanny by trade; she shot thousands and thousands of rolls of film during her spare time (100,000 to be exact) – not a professional photographer but I could see her passion through her viewfinder.

I was impressed by the simplicity of her subjects. For example, there was a portrait of an older women wearing a hat, and an outfit right out of the fifties – dressed up walking along the downtown streets. No expression just a person living the simple life like we all try to do.

My favorite was a ticket counter all in shadow where you can barely see a women behind a metal cage. Brilliant use of shadow and composition where you say to yourself, “What’s going on here?” Another photograph showed an explosive view of downtown with all the signs and activity then as you look closer, there is a strand of pearls on a mailbox. Wow! The photographer saw something unusual or nostalgic about that subject and shot it. I didn’t see the pearls at first. The strong use of shadow and sparkling lights drew me in. Similarly, a photo of a table and the viewer (camera) looks up to an old pay phone. It’s quiet but says a lot. It’s ordinary scenes that draws the viewer in through point of view and explosive light and dark.

Honestly, all the photographs drew me in for one reason or another – if it wasn’t the composition or the expression on the subjects faces. That’s what black-and-white photography does for me, it takes out all the complexity and simplifies it by grey tones and black. I don’t know anything about Vivian Maier but I now know how much the simplicity of life was her inspiration. Things we take for granted - a walk around the neighborhood and the beauty that’s there.

I can’t say enough about this show. Check out the web site, there is a documentary film, “The Vivian Maier Mystery” shown at four venues.



Cleveland Print Room
http://clevelandprintroom.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment