Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Summer Has Flown By


It’s Sunday, July 27 and I’m getting pensive that summer has just flown by. I feel that summer hasn’t even gotten started since I’ve only worn my tank tops a few times. To me, summer means a skirt, sandals and tank — anything more than that is too much. Contrary to what others think, July was a cool month and there were still many complaints that it’s just too hot. Seriously! I’ve worn my fleece jacket and jeans to many outdoor concerts and slept with a down comforter more times than I can remember (I don’t have central air). Last year is was so hot, that I slept with wash cloth to keep my temperature down. That’s my definition of summer. 

All complaints aside, I’ve gotten out there and experienced all the fun outdoor activities that I can get in. There is just too many things going on; some days I had to picked one thing and go with it. For example last Sunday, Ohio City / Transformer Station had their Parisian Market (the Cleveland Flea on West 29). I normally run on Sunday morning but I changed my itinerary and decided to bike. It was a beautiful sunny day without much humidity as I pedaled down Lakeshore Blvd, onto North Marginal Road and over the Detroit-Superior bridge.  

Right before me were street vendors pedaling their wares, a food truck serving up breakfast and various stands creating crepes (Elise's Crepes), pierogies (The Pierogi Lady) and oysters (Oyster Bar). There was a tent with chairs so patrons can sit, eat and have conversations until they feel like moving again. That’s what the Europeans do – socialize!

What I enjoyed most about the market was the intimacy of it. Not crazy busy but enough diverse merchandise that you can find something to buy. Since I rode my bike, there wasn’t much merchandise I could buy and cart home — the downside of cycling to events. I anxiously tried on a few outfits from a vendor selling old, nostalgic items. I found a beautiful “couture” dress that was expertly constructed. All the seams were finished as I turned the garment inside out. Nothing is made like “that” any more. Now we buy crap that only lasts one season if you’re lucky. As a person that sews, I notice details like that. I good find if it fits.

To my chagrin, the dress didn’t fit. Honestly, I couldn’t get it past my waist. The other thing that has changed in our current fashion industry is “sizing.” I’m a small person and now I wear X-small and sizes in the zero’s at times. I am not trying to boast that I’m tiny but the sizing is so “out of whack!” I had to put that gorgeous dress back but found a gingham orange top that I bought instead. 


As I walked around, I was quickly propelled into the seventies with these plastic glasses with different colored bottoms that I swear my mom owned. Old fashioned cameras that uses film and a “flash cube” — remember that? There was “Simplicity” patterns that brought back memories of my mother who sewed all her clothes when I was a child. Jewelry made from Barbie doll hangers – what a hoot! African Black soap that addresses skin issues – acne and eczema. I quickly bought a bar.

I enjoyed myself at this market seeing a few people that I knew and talking to a mother and daughter in the crepe line. I told them I was thinking of going to the “Taste of Tremont” (third Sunday in July) and they said it was incredibly busy where it was hard to find parking. I thought of going but they made my mind up for me — I bagged it. 

If you enjoy nostalgic, retro items, I would definitely attend the Cleveland Flea at Tyler Village on August 9 and/or the Ohio City Market on Sunday, August 17. 

As I cycled home, enthusiastic about my purchases, I thought about the upcoming “Opera per Tutti at the Italian Cultural Garden later that evening. I thought for some reason that it was in August but it also scheduled on July 20. I was almost too tired to go and thought about meeting my sister there as I passed the Cultural Gardens on my way home. 



The Opera per Tutti performance was extraordinary. I think I enjoyed it more this year than last. The gardens was full with people of all ages in chairs and blankets soaking up this music. The sound quality was exquisite; there wasn’t a bad seat. They offered a sampling of wine and pizza for sale. The performers sang from various Operas –  La Boheme and La Traviata to name a few. It brought memories when my sister and me attended a few Operas a year. I didn’t understand what they sung but I love it! It brings goosebumps as their voices transcends the audience. 

If you enjoy Opera, pencil that in for next year. I would definitely get there early to get a seat or wander around these beautiful gardens. 

Not only were there the two events that I just described, but a concert at Lakeview Cemetery and The Cleveland Foundation free event at Blossom; my sister said 5,000 people attended that night. That is four events that I know of happened July 20.

July is over so one more month of activities until I’ll be putting up the Halloween decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment