Saturday, July 26, 2014

Yoga and Me


Photo courtesy of twitter: @NCoastHarbor

Child’s pose, down dog, cat and cow stretch, plank, warrior 1, half-moon - these poses (and so many more) can be seen every Tuesday night at Voinovich Park at 6:00 p.m., now extended until October. It is a new initiative to get more people downtown along our fabulous lake; see North Coast Harbor for more information. There is nothing better than yoga with the lake as a back drop. I, for one, love it.


I can’t tell you enough how much yoga has helped me both physically and mentally by using “the breath” to get into and out of these crazy poses. Some people might think; I can’t do “that!” It is just too hard. Or, how can yoga possibly be any kind of serious workout. Believe me, it’s a workout. You will sweat and get that heart beating. Not convinced—try holding a “plank (a push-up position - straight back and arms)” for a minute or so and your arms will cry out – please stop!

I began yoga at the old Bally’s in Beachwood with an instructor that was fantastic. She went in and out of these poses like it was “nothin’” She was so fit and limber that you were amazed by just looking at her flawless technique. I did the basics just like everyone else but I accelerated quickly since my hamstrings were so loose; my hips on the other hand, are still tight after all these years. What I loved most about this instructor – she pushed you into new poses while showing modifications. I quickly started “binding” my poses (interlocking your hands in a pose) and tried every week to “push myself” harder to get a better workout.


I do not recommend this to a beginner. I have been working out for years doing “boot camp” classes, running and biking for as long as I can remember. In fact while attending high school, I got up early and practiced my back bends and did sit-ups before class. Crazy, I know.


I’m fit but that doesn’t mean you can’t do yoga. Yoga is a practice that is individual. You work at your own pace and push yourself only as far as your own body can go. It is not a contest with other participants in the class. For example during last night’s class, the instructor told us to close our eyes so we would refrain from looking at what others are doing. I was almost in a meditative state where I focused on my breath.

 As I just mentioned, my hips are so tight that I don’t even try “half lotus” (sitting Indian style and putting your heals on your thighs in an “x”). I do what I can as long as I feel a stretch without injury. That’s key; you do not want to injure yourself while doing yoga or any physical activity. “Listen to your body.”


How did I find out about yoga at Voinovich Park? As I rode my bike around the Rock Hall, I noticed a banner with a new logo for “North Coast Harbor” with a summer schedule. Free Yoga Tuesday - I’m there!


I don’t know what it is but it seems like “yoga” practices are all around me: Free yoga at Voinovich Park; Wade Oval Wednesday during July and August only in conjunction with The Cleveland Museum of Art’s new exhibit. I also heard that House of Blues has yoga on Saturday, technically free but donations are accepted to educate children about yoga. The Transformer Station had yoga during their Red Peckerwood exhibit earlier this summer and I noticed yoga at Tremont’s Lincoln Park during their Tuesday market.


Convinced yet in trying yoga? Well, all I can say is I breath deeper and can work harder in any physical activity just by using the “ujjayi breath. The inhalation and exhalation are done through the nose in equal durations (inhaling for four seconds then exhaling for four seconds). Yoga is a total body activity that has been around for thousands of years. I always leave my yoga practice feeling rejuvenated and ready for my next challenge. Don’t be too quick to dismiss it as too hard. Just give it a try.

On Friday, July 25, there was "Yarn n Yoga" at Euclid Beach Park — practicing yoga on the beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment