Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Whose dog was that?

Biking and giving blood just don’t mix. Whose brilliant idea was it to bike down to the American Red Cross and give blood? It sounded good at the time. Saturday is my biking day and I thought why don’t I do both. I didn’t think that after giving one pint of blood that my body would be physically ready to exert additional energy and bike. Not only did I bike downtown but I went all the way to Ohio City, West 58 to be exact.

I pedaled feeling pretty good after I ate two bags of pretzels and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Quite frankly, it was a warm and pleasant day for biking without the humidity we usually get in July. Since I try to give blood every fifty-six days, I am fully aware that I need to keep myself fully hydrated. I continually drank water as I pedaled from east to west.

Suddenly, I wasn’t feeling so good - light headed and hot. I Immediately stopped at West 29 and Franklin and laid under a tree without even taking off my helmet. I could just kick myself for not heading home. I closed my eyes and took long, controlled breaths until I was able to sit up. How stupid can I be? I laid there thinking that I did a good deed but now I feel like crap.

It’ll pass; it always does.

As any cyclist will tell you, always have snacks. I drank a yogurt smoothie and some fruit. My head feels fine and the queasiness has passed. I’m thankful that someone didn’t stop and ask if I was all right. “Yeah, I’m laying here because I didn’t have the common sense to go home.”

I didn’t want to break any records pedaling home. I took it easy - a steady, even pace. I didn’t want to get dehydrated again. Water is your best friend when you exercise and especially when you give blood. Honestly, I drink water all day long. Nothing is better than this clear, refreshing liquid. My saving grace.

About forty-five minutes from home, I found another tree at Gordon Park and laid down, helmet and all. I rather be safe than sorry. I’m in no hurry. Eyes closed. I took a long breath in through my nose and out through my nose; yoga’s ujjayi breathing. Suddenly out of the blue, a black dog appears under my tree. I heard the clinging of the dog tags. S/he didn’t bark just hovered until I reached my hand and petted her head and neck. I couldn’t believe it - a dog just appears to make sure I’m okay. Seriously!


I didn’t realize it until later that this dog sensed something and ran to my tree. I don’t own a dog nor do I know much about dogs but this dog was worried about me. I felt so appreciative that it appeared; stayed until I was alert enough to touch her. I will never forget this incident. My heart goes out to this beautiful dog. I thank you for your intuitiveness. Every thing has a purpose - dogs, elephants (my other favorite) bugs, rodents and everything else. And, we are all connected in some way too.

Pet and hug your animal today, you never know when they might offer some help.

Please donate to the American Red Cross
http://www.redcrossblood.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment