Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer in Cleveland

Free Concerts

Technically summer hasn’t officially started but I’ve attended a few things going on around town. For one, the free concert series at Wade Oval had a good crowd in spite of the threatening heavy gray clouds overhead. The band, "The Chozen Few Band," wasn’t deterred either. Around my North Collinwood neighborhood, we have free concerts along the Lake. Honestly, I considered not attending because the cool breeze was too cold to sit by the lake. What can I say; I’m a freeze baby and probably the rare few that likes it hot? Since the sun came out, I decided to walk the block and a half. A less than normal crowd but everyone seemed to have a wonderful time. The band, Lost State of Franklin will be performing at Wade Oval this week (last night).

While listening to the band, I was infatuated by this dog that kept running down to the lake to retrieve this stick she found. The routine was: she threw down the stick; Her owners threw it down to the lake (there was a hill from where I sat to the Lake’s edge); she enthusiastically ran to retrieve it. She did it about three times. She rested for a bit; then the cycle repeated. I couldn’t stop myself from watching her. She wasn’t exactly the most agile of dog breeds but she kept running up and down this hill like it was nothing.

The Convention Center

I rode my bike downtown to attend the opening of the Cleveland Convention Center. Honestly, they did a fantastic job. The inside was contemporary with clean silver signage; the bench seating had plugs along the front and sides for your electronic devices. The bench seats’ fabric had a repeating pattern of our historic bridges in earth tones. The interior was spacious with many meeting rooms with all the current technologies; I just learned this center is the most technologically advanced. The Ballroom was huge; it overlooked the Amtrak Train Station. This was the first time I was able to see it at eye level. Everyone standing in front of the large windows were probably thinking the same thing.

What I enjoyed most was how the old Mall C was re-envisioned with green space that was sorely needed downtown. They added contemporary metal benches where you can sit comfortably looking out along the lake and view Browns Stadium (First Energy Stadium). Many onlookers had their camera’s set and gazed off into the distance. I’m sure the benches will fill up during lunch with people craving the view or people just milling around. I was impressed with this space.

Bonfoey Gallery

As an art lover, I try to visit as many openings as possible. The Bonfoey featured artist, Joseph O’Sickey, that beautifully captured landscapes using watercolor and oil. I was most impressed with his watercolors because it is a medium that I cannot do very well. God knows, I’ve tried. What I admire most about his watercolors is they’re simply interpreted without much detail such as “Four Sailboats Near Land.” Moreover, you can still see the faint pencil lines as he meticulously worked on the composition, visualizing what inspired the artist. Seeing the care and skill he took in creating these landscapes. Next to the watercolor, a dynamic, bold colorful piece that reminded me of Matisse hung there as I wondered how differently he interpreted these patio scenes.

The Bonfoey played a video of O'Sickey where I learned how he met his wife (love at first sight) and began his career in watercolors. Furthermore, it was his obscure watercolors that eventually awarded him admittance to the Cleveland School of Art (now Cleveland Institute of Art). Just like another artist I adore, Schreckengost (an industrial designer and artist that created the vibrant Jazz Bowls), O’Sickey also chose to stay in Cleveland and paint. Art openings and galleries, I learn about artists that I probably wouldn’t have known before.

Bonfoey Gallery until July 13, 2013

http://www.bonfoey.com/OSickey.html

Sound Installation: Forty-Part Motet at The Cleveland Museum of Art

I initially heard the Forty-Part Motet played on WCPN Around Noon that just gave me chills coming out my radio. I couldn’t wait to listen to this piece in person. There are forty mounted speakers (hence the name) arranged in an oval where each speaker represents a choir member in the Reid Gallery (Italian Baroque Gallery). Honestly, I didn’t know what this piece represented when I walked by earlier in spring as the installation was in progress. My favorite art pieces are those that have a well thought out concept that keeps my mind going, what the artist is trying to say. Hence, I want to discuss this art with others.

This work by Janet Cardiff did not disappoint. I walked up the steps and I instantly heard the music. Standing right inside the gallery, I was awestruck by the clarity of the choir. I first walked around to each of the speakers to see if I can distinguish between any of the voices. I couldn’t until the piece ended; I can hear quiet murmurings and breathing. The artist recorded each choir member separately even during breaks.

This is a piece that everyone must experience. It will undeniably take your breath away. As I sat and listened to it twice, I watched patrons walk around and sit; children running up to each speaker not fully understanding it. I was in my own little world with this majestic sound surrounding me, comforting me as I listened. I didn’t want to leave. This piece will forever be imprinted in my mind. I’m sorry that I missed Ms. Cardiff’s other piece, “The Paradise Institute” at MOCA. This piece, however, has been extended until July 7, 2013.

http://www.clevelandart.org/events/exhibitions/forty-part-motet
Lastly, I went to a talk at Sims Park Beach in Euclid about shale rock. I learned how different each beach looked by the wave deposits. Sims park had rocks that washed up on the beach whereas Euclid Beach did not. Plus, Sims Park had sand with a purple tint from other minerals that wash up.  I never thought about it until the presenter mentioned it.

Sims Park in Euclid - Moss Point
http://bluestoneheights.org/bsh/?s=moss+point

This past week has been filled with discoveries and knowledge that I love. Cleveland provides so much richness in culture and art. Summer has begun and there is much more for me to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment