Thursday, June 27, 2013

Cleveland Summer Festivities


Photo by: David Brichford, CMA Staff Member

CMA Summer Solstice

Balloon patterned outfits, performances, pyrotechnics, visions of Cleveland projected onto the 1916 Building, this was the atmosphere at the fifth annual Cleveland Museum of Art Summer Solstice party. Just as the previous parties, the crowds danced and visited the many galleries especially the opening of the new Asian Galleries. The new galleries were bright and spacious that allowed a visitor to see the long awaited Asian collection. I told a friend right after I exited the space, did we have all this on view before in the downstairs galleries - the dungeon (the only reason I say this is they were dark and hard to see the many wonderful pieces)? The patrons to the new Cleveland Museum of Art space have no idea how crowded it once was. There was never a time where I was alone in a gallery to view my favorite art pieces nor an immense atrium that amazes me still. There was a lot of grumbling when it closed its doors but I know now it needed to be done - an expansion that celebrates how fantastic our museum is and will be in the future.

As I do every year, I volunteer my time to this “must attend” event because I love to people watch. There were fashionably decked out people with certain extravagance to others in jeans and flip flops. Everyone was enjoying the outdoor bands in yet another heat wave to DJs in the atrium. There were so many people wandering around that unless you had a specific place to meet, you will never find your party. That is a successful party, for sure.

Photo by: David Thal


This year, I spent more time in the galleries trying to catch up on art that I’ve missed or listening to my favorite contemporary piece, "Forty-Part Motet." My friend didn’t realize this piece was exhibited since it was a little hard to hear with all the traffic. It was exciting to see, however, the many bodies hopped from one speaker to the next. I enthusiastically told my friend please stop back, it’s something you don’t want to miss.
Photo by: David Thal

Unfortunately, the suspended contemporary sculpture, “The Controller of the Universe” was closed for the event displaying countless hardware tools from chisel to saws. Can you name that tool? My friend and I were trying to figure out what this tool is called,that takes two people to saw a log (two-man-saw). This piece just glowed in the moonlight as iPhone photos were taken.

If you forgot or have never attended this event, pencil it for next year. Please buy your tickets early since it sells out.

“The Book of Mormon” at Playhouse Square

As I do with book or films, I never read the reviews. I just need a basic thumbs up or thumbs down so I don’t waste my time. The only thing I heard about this play is it won a bunch of Tony’s and it’s part of Playhouse Square’s Broadway series. That’s good enough for me.

I was so excited to see this play for all the positive buzz it has received. My sister said honestly the seats aren’t great for its popularity - seats are selling fast. Great for Cleveland, I say. Moreover, it was wonderful to see people spilling out along Euclid Avenue at 3:30 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon. We do have the second largest theater district behind New York, if you can believe it.

We walked up many steps to reach the upper balcony. The seats were not bad; there were more people further up. The stage perimeter was decorated in stain glass and soon the performers were singing boisterously, “Hello, Hello” as they were ringing doorbells to preach the “Book of Mormon.” Again, the seats were high but not enough that I couldn’t get the full effect of the show. They were loud enough to hear no matter where you sat.

The actor who played, Elder Cunningham was wonderful - hilarious as he glided along the stage singing and portraying this lively character that lies about the Book’s content to get Ugandans baptized. The costumes and choreography were brilliant; the ensemble cast played many characters such as devils, Yoda, Darth Vader, Ugandans and Elder Mormons, just to name a few.

Of course I laughed and was entertained. However, there were a few things that didn’t sit well with me such as explicit language, rape and body part references that probably didn’t need to be there. Then again, you know what you’re getting from the creators of South Park. Overall, I did like it a lot.

If you love the theater, I wouldn’t miss it.

http://www.playhousesquare.org/

More activities this weekend.

Friday, June 28 MOCA
http://mocacleveland.org/

Saturday, June 29, WaterlooArtsFest
https://www.facebook.com/WaterlooArtsFest

No comments:

Post a Comment