Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Creating Photography the Old-Fashioned Way


My Photogram

Field trip to the newest gallery on Superior Avenue, Cleveland Print Room, where I will be creating a “photogram.” I didn’t know what it was either until I did a Google search. It’s placing objects on photo sensitive paper and letting the light hit it – creating a photograph without a camera. Individuals who have never used a film camera might not exactly know what “photo sensitive paper” is. Before digital cameras, photography was done using negatives, a developer, and photo paper. A technology that I kind of miss.

I gathered a few objects from home, not exactly sure what I was doing to create this “photogram.” I put a graphic, see-through ruler, glass coaster, tall glass bottle and feathered mask into a bag. I will learn soon enough what creative piece I will make.

As I walked through the Print Room gallery, I saw old-fashioned Polaroids and other SLR film cameras displayed on a high shelf – unassuming, oblivious to some what they are. It brought me back into a world where producing photography was a trial-and-error process. Moreover, I remember shooting an entire roll of film (36 exposures) and maybe there was one or two great shots worth enlarging. Spending hour after hour in a darkroom printing black and white photos. Because of the experimentation and creative freedom you have, this was one of my favorite artistic class.

Presently, you digitally produce photos that are edited as you go. You press the shutter button, see it on a screen then either keep it or delete it. Don’t get me wrong; I love technology where digital images has saved countless hours of scanning, producing proof sheets and editing photos. All you have to do is upload them to your computer or directly post them to facebook via iPhone or any other smart phone. It’s that simple.

What I do miss is the creativity you get as you shoot and edit in the darkroom. There are times when I see vibrant photos at local galleries and wonder if it’s been “photoshopped” or not. One of my pet peeves.

In the Print Room, you enter a red, revolving cylinder that takes you into the darkroom. There are at least 8 developers on stands that directs light onto your photo paper. I was in heaven as I placed my see-through ruler, glass coaster and Mardi Gras Beads onto the shiny paper. Hence, my goal was creating an interesting composition with my items.

Turn on the developer for 30 seconds; place the paper into the first chemical bath for 2 minutes and agitate; Remove, place it in the second chemical bath for 1 minute; the third chemical bath for 3 minutes then wash the paper with clear water for at least 5 minutes. Whoa, that is so much time invested to create a photograph. It might be but it’s similar to getting your hands dirty when you pick up a paint brush or pencil and illustrate an object without an iPad. It can actually be liberating.

The darkroom was active with so many hands dropping objects onto a 8 x 10 sheet of paper. Soon, an image will emerge. It works best if you have an item that’s translucent where light can shine through. I was impressed how many people did more than one photogram; there were many cool, creative solutions. 

What I learned is that some old-fashioned technologies do return just like vinyl records or letterpress where you can see the letters indented onto the paper. Nothing like it. Get out of your confined digital world and create art the old fashioned way. No iPads please.



Check out Cleveland Print Room
The ArtCraft Building
2550 Superior Avenue
http://clevelandprintroom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment