Monday, May 20, 2013

Biking Downtown - ‘Bout Time

graphic from www.bikecleveland.org

It’s May 17, and I finally pulled out my old mountain bike to check the tires and lube the chain. Today is bike to work day; I plan to ride downtown and looking at the progress of the East Bank of the Flats. There are so many changes going on in the city that I’m looking forward to seeing it at 15 miles-per-hour. Sixty-eight degrees and sunny is the perfect time to start pedaling.

I realize that we’ve already had numerous warm weather days for me to venture out on my bike but the late schedule of the Cleveland International Film Festival, Orthodox Easter and cleaning up my yard, the days and weeks have just gone by. I really can’t complain about the above normal, sunny days in Cleveland, Ohio. My yard is in full bloom with this giant fragrant lilac bush. It just puts a smile on my face.

As a freeze baby, I wore a few layers to combat the wind as I rode down along Lakeshore Boulevard, against the wind. That is ideal; however, on the way back when I’m fatigued, I will have the wind in my face practically pedaling backwards.

The ride was wonderful as I rode along the congested Euclid Avenue bike lane. On a positive note, there is a dedicated bike lane but drivers are still annoyed that they need to share the road. More times than not, a truck or car speeds right on my left pedal driving like a bat-out-of-hell determined to get to their destination. My heart is pounding as I nervously compose myself as I defensively ride in my lane, hugging the curb. Driver’s should just look around and make sure they are not getting in the way. “Please share the road!”

I am not a novice as far as cycling goes but now I’m more aware of my surroundings. I don’t do what most people do, which is listening to an iPod, oblivious to their surroundings. My hearing is in tune to the ambient sounds so if a car gets too close or doesn’t follow the “rules of the road” then I have plenty of time to get out of the way. It really shouldn’t come to that. One time I was riding my light weight rode bike and out of nowhere, a car cuts me off by making a left turn right in front of my front wheel. If I didn’t have quick reflexes, then I would have been sprawled on the road. Hence, you need to drive or cycle defensively regardless.

I commend anyone who cycles through downtown on a regular basis. There is so much traffic on all the streets that I needed to zigzag to find a street without much traffic. It’s not that I’m nervous to ride, but as I stated above I don’t trust people in cars. They seem like they’re always in a hurry and not really paying attention. Besides, I’m not enclosed by plastic and steel.

What was interesting as I rode through the Warehouse District, the movie crew were already filling up the parking lot with white trucks and vans? At first I was confused why so many trucks where parked there – then it hit me. The Captain America crew will be shutting down the Shoreway and some downtown streets. I want to go downtown and see them shoot; I missed it when The Avengers crew were in town.

Pretty cool, I must say.

The other area that I thought was cool was The Flats. Admittedly, I was annoyed that they bulldozed Old River Road except for a few buildings. I can’t help it; it reminded me of the heyday when the Flats was in full swing: Fagan’s, The Beach Club, D’Poos, River’s Edge just to name a few. The city was alive with so many Clevelanders – it was the place to be on the weekends. Now, it is beginning to take some shape.

The tall, Ernst & Young building and the Aloft boutique hotel will be fantastic when it finally opens – it has been leveled since 2006-2007. The contractors began laying bricks underneath the “blue bridge.” And yes, I made my way up that steep hill on my mountain bike, huffing and puffing as I reached the top. West Sixth and Ninth streets are also going through road construction as I made my way through the “orange barrels.”

It was crazy trying to maneuver my bike through all the construction, but I’m enthusiastic how beautiful the city will look once all these projects are done. It will give more people a reason to venture downtown away from their suburban Mecca. What will bring people downtown is giving them something different that they can’t get in the burbs – We are definitely on our way?

To learn more about downtown, Take a Hike - Tuesday, Wednesday (New), Thursday, Saturday & Sunday. www.clevelandgatewaydistrict.com

Flats East Bank
http://www.flatseast.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment