Friday, March 8, 2013

My Deer

Photo by Anna Chanakas


As I gaze out my window, millions of snow flakes fall to the ground. If it was January I wouldn’t mind as much but today is March 3rd and I’m ready for spring. I am already thinking about what to plant in my tiny garden. Last year, I grew lettuce, tomatoes, string beans and peas. I almost enjoy the process of planting more than biting into my fresh produce. I can’t even put my joy into words when I see string beans hanging from their fine stalks that I planted from seeds 60 days earlier. Or, the pea plants stretching and hanging onto a trellis that will soon harbor sweet peas. I spent hours digging and mixing my compost pile into my garden so I can create the perfect garden; I don’t use any fertilizers or pesticides. Hence, my vegetables are so delicious that’s worth the wait every year.

Every morning, I walk around to see what needs done - watering and picking. I gazing onto what nature gave me - edible produce.

One day, however, my garden was destroyed by four legged pests that everyone I know has been complaining about for years - deer. I would never have believe it until I saw them by my own eyes walking nonchalantly through my yard looking for food. I yelled and screamed and darted towards them so they would get away from my string beans that I worked so hard to get. I cried in anguish when I looked at the leaves that were gone - only stalks remained. My neighbor said to me, “They will grow back?” Yea, I thought but I want my string beans now not in a few weeks. I treat my garden as others treat their children - enduring love.

My mind was searching for a solution. How am I going to get rid of these creatures of habit? I did the easiest thing I could think of - I went to Home Depot and bought “deer and rabbit repellant.” What can I say, it worked like a charm? That repellant, however, was the foulest smelling stuff I have ever experienced. It was so repugnant that I couldn’t sit out side. Moreover, I held my breath whenever I spray it around the perimeter of my yard.

Problem solved, so I thought. I followed the directions to the letter. Spray it every week for a month then you can decrease the application to once a month. My garden was thriving again so I ceased to spray one day. News travels fast in the “deer community” because more deer attacked my garden yet again. What I realized is, deer are creatures of habit so I got rid of one set of deer but another set was soon taking their place.

The problem is rampant. They love my yard because I adore plants and beautifying my landscape with day lilies, hydrangeas, lilacs and daisies. They have attacked all my flowers except the ugly purple floral hosta plant that I can care less about. My yard fuels their hunger. I appreciate the kindness that my deer has given me but “get out!”

Yes, the deer repellant works and I can continually use it but that solution is expensive. I bought two sprayer bottles that cost me over $16.00 and after the scent is gone - it’s worthless. I am looking into organic solutions that entails egg and hot pepper flakes.

You think winter will deter a deer’s behavior. Absolutely, not! During one of our large January snow falls, I happen to notice many “hoof” prints darting back and forth across my backyard. I couldn’t believe it. Yes, they’re back. My friends - the spring and summer companions. Not only have they attacked my barren backyard but distributed their fecal matter (little brown pellets) all over. My neighbor, oblivious about what these brown pellets are; I told her our deer friends are back and I can tell by these brown pellets. “Oh, she said, Is that what that is.”

Not only do I have a summer planting problem with these pests but it’s year round. In one respect I understand their pain that there isn’t much food to eat. For example, the park system decimated the trees and plants. It was necessary to contain the evasive plant species by destroy them. One morning as I was running through Euclid Beach and Wildwood Park, a deer was gazing out into a desolate field - I know exactly what they were thinking. What am I going to eat today?

This is a huge problem that I don’t think anyone is addressing. Our ecosystem has changed around my neighborhood and other municipalities as well. For example, The Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District needs to create a storm water tunnel (a holding tank for storm water) and this has destroyed grasses, wild flowers and other food for predators in the vicinity. All this change has effected the natural order, and how will wild life adapt?

How do we fix the problem so it doesn’t impede my need and desire to eat from my garden? Why is it up to me to fix this problem and/or for me to adapt?

I never asked for this? I do what I’m supposed to do. I have installed rain barrels; and I compost to help our environment thrive and preserve nature. Then you have developers destroying natural resources that doesn’t make sense in my opinion when our population is dwindling.

As upset as I am, these deer have no where to go for food. When changes are made in our environment it effects our ecosystem. Why isn’t the ecosystem taken into account when drastic changes are needed in our cities? Moreover, there needs to be room for every species - rodent or pest, domestic animals and humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment