Friday, March 1, 2013

I'm Always Thinking

Does thinking promote creativity or is it the reverse? I believe it is both. I never thought I was creative nor did I believe that reading would help me become a critical thinker. It seems that, “Critical thinking” has become the new “buzz word.” All I know is I have always enjoyed reading and been observant because of my mother. She would help me remember the stories she told – how she came to the United States. Or, she would remind me who the people in church where by what they wore and/or how they looked. Moreover, she made sure we looked our best no matter where we were going; I can honestly say that I still do that to this day. Presentation is everything.

Being Creative Early On

My mother had to work when I was only nine years old so I had to become creative to play. I fondly remember making “Barbie” doll clothes out of my mother’s fabric scraps and even created a “Barbie” car out of my mother’s discarded cake mix box. I cut out a rounded shape out of the rectangle side of the cake box, and folded it up - this served as the car seat. I slipped “Barbie” into the opening and pushed her around along the carpeting. To create some color on the cardboard box, I took out my crayons and drew tires on the narrow side. This worked for me. My parents never saw the need to buy us kids many games that we’d discard after we were done.

In creating “Barbie’s” clothes, I cut out some holes for the arms to go through and tied a belt. I didn’t know how to sew then so I used my school art box - scissors and glue. They weren’t perfect but it served its purpose, which was giving my dolls a couple of extra new outfits.

Observation

Being observant is the first step in being creative - and/or thinking about the world in a different light. The best project I ever worked on was writing a daily journal for my sculpture class. At first I thought it was stupid along with every other student. Then I began to really look at nature - how one thing related to another. How each trees’ branches looked different; some were thick and some were thin. Some had a thick bark and some were smooth. I wrote and wrote. I might have been the only one who wrote consistently. Once I got started, it was easy to see how nature was sculptural. I instantly began to see how nature inspired other things around me. In fact, this morning as I ran towards Lake Erie, I saw these gigantic waves that were frozen in time - a rigid, rough piece of sculpture nature created. Amazing what you can see if you just take the time to observe.

Now every time I watch a movie or read a book, my mind goes in a million directions. What did the author intend? Did I like the characters as they were written or could I create a better character? Did the scenery and/or the costumes add to the story or did it detract from it? Was there too many characters where I became lost and the plot took too long to get to the point.
There are so many variables in writing a book and/or producing a film. Sometimes a movie is just beautiful to watch without much plot or characterizations. That is fine too as long as it keeps my interest and there is a point.

One film from last year’s Cleveland International Film Festival, it was so simple that there wasn’t too much dialogue. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it because of the beautiful cinematography. Moreover, it was filmed in the farmlands of a quiet, European town. Therefore, the scenery was one of the characters.

School Art Projects

I have to applaud my elementary and junior high school for giving me some cool art projects to work on. One project I still remember doing; I’m upset that I cannot find this poem that I wrote so many years ago. It was titled, “The Cool Drink.” I described quite elegantly, how thirsty I was as I walked home from school during a very hot day. I recall mentioning a “Coke,” and how happy my throat was when I finally got to drink it. It was short but to the point. Interestingly, now I don’t drink soft drinks any longer, and the only thing that quenches my thirst is plain tap water. Maybe one day, I will find it.

My junior high school art classes involved using the potter’s wheel; painting with acrylics, water colors; enameling (I still have on display) and batik that I describe in great detail in another post. I remember painting an album cover for the rock group, “Queen.” Yes, back then the art world created many album covers (Check out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum for what they have on display). Moreover, in preparation for a water color painting, our class had to “wet down” water color paper, then stretch it onto a drawing board. We either taped the paper down with masking tape or staples - I can’t recall now. Either way, I did so many different mediums of art back then that I hope kids still do this today.

The ability to express your self is the most important step in being creative. Next, communicating what you did. Most important your thinking process in creating your art, and what you learned in the process. I guess I can be critical on art because I have sat through so many critiques; after a while, you can pick out things that others may not have noticed.

Everyone has an opinion so just throw it out there. After all, there isn’t a wrong answer. Create an art piece, write in a journal or watch a film. Then, have a discussion with someone. My favorite discussion are the ones when no one agrees - the most important observations are being addressed if you like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment