Thursday, January 17, 2013

Exploring Cleveland

If it’s not the free December concerts at the Cleveland Trust Rotunda, the new MOCA Cleveland museum or summers at Wade Oval Wednesday (WOW), who says there isn’t anything to do in Cleveland? Anyone who knows me understands that I am the biggest Cleveland cheerleader. Why, you might ask? I would respond by saying we have a vibrant, cultural community that has many neighborhoods vying for your participation.

Please participate in what certain communities offer. If you feel like heading downtown, just go ahead and explore. Do you know that there are free “Take a Hike” tours (not really a hike but a walking tour - May through September) that gives a historical account of Cleveland’s past. I learned so much about our city that many take for granted. Did you realize there was a theater on Euclid Avenue that is now the Statler Arms garage. If you dare, walk right into the garage and look up to your left. You can see a sculpted area where a vibrant theater once stood. I am saddened, quite frankly, that this theater didn’t survived. However, look at the Playhouse Square complex and see what we do have.

When I was traveling to Minneapolis, Minnesota on business, my sales representative had tickets to see “Le Misérables” in a local theater. I absolutely adore that production (the current film is spectacular; I would recommend seeing it). I walked into the theater and gazed upon the plain, dull interior; I felt so spoiled with our intricate theaters we have along Euclid Avenue. To say the least, I got bored with the production just by sitting in this ordinary, stale environment. To my surprise, I fell asleep. It wasn’t entirely the environment that put me to sleep but it didn’t help either. Do your self a favor and take a behind the scenes tour of Playhouse Square on Saturday. Check the web site for times, dates, there might be a nominal fee.

Playhouse Square added the Cleveland Public Theater along with a collaboration with Cleveland State University. As a fan of free tours, I had the opportunity to view the new Cleveland Public Theater complex. I understand why they reconfigured the Allen Theater to a smaller seating capacity but at the same time, this theater was my absolute favorite. It was intimate and the 1920’s era details shined (Opening night, April 1, 1921). I am slightly upset with the loss of this theater, but, in hindsight we gained another wonderful theater right downtown. The theater has a beautifully redesigned, contemporary entrance, where you can sit in one of the couches and wait for your show to start. If you enjoy live theater, these shows are reasonably priced especially the student shows.

As a long time Clevelander, I have never seen the Cleveland Trust Rotunda or at least I don’t remember. This past December, the Downtown Cleveland Alliance and University Circle Inc. decided to open up the Rotunda for the holidays and feature dynamic musicians from the Cleveland Orchestra, Cleveland Institute of Music, brass ensembles, a choir and other great musicians during lunch. The first week I realized it was open, I walked in and everyone displayed their smart phones aiming at the beautiful stained glass dome. I couldn’t stop staring into its vastness with the sun trying to shine through. At first I thought it was Tiffany but it wasn’t. It’s just as breathtaking. Another interesting historical fact, on the upper mezzanine level the mural artist, Francis Millet, lost his life on the Titanic.

What an architectural gem that once was a Cleveland bank. They don’t design buildings like that now with the expense of the materials alone. Now, Cuyahoga County is going to sell the rotunda and adjoining Ameritrust tower so it can be developed. In my opinion, it’s a no brainer. There is a shortage of living spaces currently in downtown so why not redevelop the Ameritrust tower by renowned architect, the Marcel Breuer. Perhaps the Rotunda can become a restaurant or a place where Clevelanders can visit. I can’t wait to see this section of Euclid Avenue redeveloped.

Lastly, the Cleveland Trust Rotunda had a display table for The Cleveland Orchestra. I received a recyclable bag, and I enthusiastically put my name in to win free tickets. I put my name in twice, and I won during the last concert - free event and free tickets. That is what I call time well spent.

As with the free Wade Oval Wednesday concerts during the summer months, it seems like more communities are doing the same thing. In my North Collinwood community (ten minutes east from downtown along the lake), there are three clubhouses towards the lake, and they have free concerts every Thursday beginning in June. What I enjoy most is all I have to do is walk with my blue, collapsible chair and listen to some fine music. One of my favorite concerts was by muscians “Seven Nations.” I had no idea about the bands popularity. The concert started at 7:30 and residents already started setting up their chairs and blanket.

What I find interesting is even in my own neighborhood, residents have no idea these concerts exist. One hot evening, I was walking down my street and a neighbor said, “Hey what are you carrying?” First, the guy had no idea what a collapsible chair looked like. I responded, “This is a chair and I am walking to a free concert down the road.” No response what so ever.

The purpose of this post is to explore the wonderful amenities we have here at home. If you like to eat, there are so many fantastic restaurants in Tremont and the new Detroit-Shoreway district. All I ask is that you find a local restaurant. What spurs our economy is supporting our local eateries and shops.

As with my previous two posts, if you enjoy art, The Cleveland Museum of Art is free and definitely check out the new MOCA museum. Both of these institutions have email lists so get on them and see what’s going on - they have lectures and music. Don’t spend all your evenings and weekends in front of your large scale t.v. sets, get out there and see what Cleveland is all about.

Moca Cleveland
http://www.mocacleveland.org/

The Allen Theater
http://www.playhousesquare.org/default.asp?playhousesquare=62&objId=1

Ameritrust Rotunda Holiday Concert
http://clevelandmagazine.blogspot.com/2012/11/ameritrust-rotunda-opens-for-wednesday.html

Historical Cleveland Trust Rotunda

http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/cleveland/rotunda/clevelandtrust.html

No comments:

Post a Comment