Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cleveland Museum of Art: What a Gem

Photo by Anna Chanakas


Steel girders, glass panels and the reconfiguration of galleries, the Cleveland Art Museum expansion is on its way to becoming one of the greatest, iconic gems in Cleveland. I have to remember back when the museum had to close its doors for the expansion to begin. I, unlike some museum patrons, was not upset by this decision. I fully supported the museum doing what it needed to do to initiate this massive, yet important project. Now several years later, I am amazed by the enormity of the atrium and the galleries that showcase perfectly the many pieces of art that I have forgotten Cleveland owns. After months and years of temporary panels and construction zones, it was worth it. Therefore, I am committed to advocate and promote this organization through patronage and volunteerism.

What brings me to the museum anyway? The programs and the art itself. As I gaze at my favorite painting, “La Vie” by Picasso for several minutes, I just can’t get enough of this blue canvas and Picasso’s brilliance. In my eyes, this giant canvas never gets old. Moreover, the first galleries to get a complete facelift was contemporary art. Unlike the old museum space, contemporary art finally has the space to display the canvases uninterrupted - freely garnering needed space to fully grasp the painters and sculptors vision. Rothko, Brancusi’s gold torso and Richard Stella’s lead sculpture can be seen uncluttered along with Degas dancers. Those are some of my favorites that I never get tired of seeing. The new contemporary galleries with new sliding glass doors was showcased at the museum’s first Solstice party in 2009. The party shined a light into the future of what the museum will become once the expansion is completed - December 2013. I, for one, cannot wait.

With the inception of the first solstice party, the crowds filled the gallery spaces along with the outdoor grounds that the museum had no choice but to offer this party repeatedly. I missed the first party, but now as a solstice volunteer, it is one of my favorite events of the summer. Crowds come in droves to be apart of this party where bands play until the wee hours of the morning with food provided by food trucks. I never grow tired of people watching – the many different Clevelanders that walk along the 1916 grounds and talk to people that they haven’t seen in a while. I sit along the perimeter, watching and listening to the summer sounds - wishing the night will never end.

Now that the museum opened the expansive atrium on October 28 of this year to live performances, I happen to volunteer that day as well soaking up the long awaited enthusiasm. The Cleveland Museum of Art has something not seen before, an indoor space that can house thousands of people. What can or will they do with this space? A new program this fall is “Mix,” a first Friday happy hour that has a different theme every month. One Mix event in November was a masquerade party that was fantastic. The museum offered a “make your own mask” station that many participated. The creativity was out of this world - elaborate gowns to Halloween costumes where many asked if I can take their photo. The best part for me was the look on everyone’s face as they gazed onto this gigantic space. It took several hours for the space to look remotely crowded. What can I say, the museum is reaching out to more people so they can experience what Cleveland has to offer - a world renowned museum?

Not only did the museum gain an elaborate atrium that is hard to describe the enormity unless you see it yourself, but they also gained a restaurant, Provenance featuring Chef Douglas Katz. The only word to describe it is - beautiful. It is contemporary with black leather chairs designed by well known modernists Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier that exemplifies timeless elegance. Furniture, quite frankly, that never goes out of style. The motif is minimal, clean and sophisticated at the same time - the class doors with the minimal “Provenance” name with a red circle. Exquisite! As a volunteer, I got a behind the scene preview of a banquet room that can be rented out that overlooks the grassy expanse of the museum grounds. I enjoyed myself sitting in a contemporary chair discussing all the improvements the museum has done the last six years and periodically gazing out onto the atrium.

A few weeks ago, I attended the museum with a friend who hasn’t seen the atrium. He was flabbergasted - it was definitely an “aha” moment. I was aghast myself when I first saw it but now that I’ve volunteered on a few occasions, the newness has somewhat worn off. But I still get excited by people’s reactions who haven’t seen it yet. Hence, I love the museum for all the artwork and how they are slowly incorporating programs to get more Clevelanders into the doors. I admire that. I am finding so many new galleries in which to display art such as William H. Johnson: An American Modern on view now along with the Wari: Lords of the Ancient Andes exhibit that should not be missed.

I have a few things on my list that I wish the museum did not eliminate - the outdoor courtyard. Call me a creature of habit, but I remember so fondly those outdoor Friday night concerts where every table was taken. On many occasions, I sat on the steps gazing out to the many faces excited about being outdoors. Don’t get me wrong, I adore the atrium as a giant meeting place for winter months but being outdoors in the summer is what warm weather is all about especially in Cleveland when those days are numbered.

I also miss the fountain where museum goers dropped a coin for good luck and the green space that surrounded it. I remember one December afternoon, there was a live concert playing the holiday classics. It is those little things that I kind of miss.

What I do not miss, however, is the cramped gallery spaces in the old 1916 building where there wasn’t enough light to see the exhibits and of course the tight contemporary gallery. As a technology person, I love how the museum has embraced technology with QR codes and the new Gallery One that has an interactive display on view new soon - Martin Luther King Day for nonmembers. In addition Director, David Franklin is collaborating with the Transformer Station (a new museum in Ohio City, opening on February 1, 2013), where the museum will offer programing. This is an exciting time for art in Cleveland.

With all this positive energy surrounding the Cleveland Museum of Art, I am honored to be a part of their volunteer staff. As a graphics professional with art knowledge because of the museum, I give this organization a resounding thumbs up. I look forward to the final stage of the grand opening, finally. If you haven’t attended in a while, do yourself a favor and go. I’m sure you will see me with my blue volunteer badge answering questions or just helping out.



www.clevelandart.org

www.transformerstation.org


Mies van der Rohe
http://www.modernclassics.com/store/pc/Mies-van-der-Rohe-c9.htm?gclid=CNTGx8j8ybQCFY-d4AodCTEAVw

Le Corbusier Furniture
http://www.bauhaus2yourhouse.com/collections/le-corbusier?_vsrefdom=paidsearch&s_kwcid=TC|13342|le%20corbusier%20chair||S|b|6540886939&gclid=CJL6gcr9ybQCFUOK4AodzgwAYA

No comments:

Post a Comment