Monday, April 7, 2014

Waterloo Arts District - First Friday


It’s March 8, the first Friday Walk All Over Waterloo event and the art scene is a flurry of activity. There were at least three art events going on. I could have volunteered for the Cleveland Museum of Art’s MIX event or hit MOCA’s free party from 8 p.m. until 10 p.m, but I elected to attend the my neighborhood first friday event instead. I’m glad I did. 



The National Arts Program 

Waterloo Arts was crazy busy with the opening of the National Arts Program where Cleveland locals can submit art. I’m a Cleveland resident so I submitted a pastel grape drawing. You would of thought I was entering a “big time” exhibit for I couldn’t decide what to draw or do. Admittedly, I was stressed. I ran downstairs into my refrigerator and grabbed a bunch of fruit – oranges, apples and grapes. I arranged them and arranged them again into different configurations. I did a small apple sketch while I sat at the Cleveland Museum of Art’s atrium waiting for my sister. 

I settled on three apples and I manically drew and illustrated with my favorite medium – pastels. As of last year, I finally set up my drawing table and I’ve been doing some drawing – I drew my sister’s house as a Christmas present and two African elephants. I enjoy it as I pull out a wide variety of color no matter what the object is - apples don’t necessarily need to be all red. There are browns, purples and yellows – I’m thinking like Van Gogh and other artists that put color down as you feel how it should look. 

I finished the apples and settled on the grape drawing instead. I was happy with it as I framed it and dropped it off at Waterloo Arts. That is the first time I submitted a drawing. Yes, I’ve done graphic design where the client sees it and decides if it’s good or not. It gets printed for the whole  world to see. Who really sees or cares who the designer is. The client wants it done and preferably under budget – project completed.  

As I walked into the Waterloo Arts, there was an abundance of artwork from school aged children to someone as young as two. For example, there was a dress form made out of metal with plastic strips for a skirt that was leaning against the wall. I love it. It was a good start into the art of sculpture. 

Other children submitted photography, collages, pottery and drawings. The main comment from attendees was how they all enjoyed “art done by children.” I completely agree. The creativity was infectious. All this from Clevelanders. I was so proud of the crowd where it was hard to maneuver within the gallery and see the exhibit.

The other piece that I thought was creative was a wall relief of an elephant using found metal. Again, this was a beautiful example of sculpture. It was easily recognized and the polished metal worked as a plausible solution. Too bad it was stuck in the back.

Where was my piece, you may ask? It took me a while to find it but it was back in the corner below another piece that won second place. A woman was photographing the piece above mine; she might have gotten some purple grape in there. It wasn’t important where my piece was. It was an honor to submit it with all the great art in Cleveland. The best in show was a painting of two nudes with vibrant red hair blowing in the wind per say. It was well done. Very close to that piece, there was a boat scene that I though was also done well. All the work was stellar in one way or another.

All egos aside, my favorite part of the evening was the parents standing next to their child and taking a photo of their art work. There was an energetic full, crowd anticipating a view of creative art in Cleveland. I was happy to see so many people walking along Waterloo jettisoning from one gallery to the next.



Maria Neil Art Project

After I left Waterloo Art Gallery, I walked a few more minutes down the road to Maria Neil Art Project Gallery to see new work from “Hilary Gent: Aftermath.” Her paintings were amazing. The entire gallery was glowing in orange, red, brown, and yellows. Right when you walked in, there was a huge canvas that over took the gallery dramatically with an urban housing feel. I walked around several time to take it all in.

I approached Hilary and told her how much I loved her work. She gave me the back story that all this work “emerged” within the last year after witnessing a building engulfed in flames. That makes sense since the color pallet is orange and red equating with fire. The fire filled her with such emotion that her coping mechanism took over and she created art work - painting after painting after painting. 

My favorite piece was off to the right side as you enter the gallery. There are these white buildings (probably homes) and at the foreground is a scrapheap of discarded wood, timber if you will. It just spoke to me because of the balance between the cleanliness of the white homes with the sadness of timber gone in to waste. Right next to the painting, there was a relief of wire and plastic, it looked like a bird’s nest to me – the artist retrieved scraps from the fire that also is in the show.

Who says you have to go far away from home to see terrific art. I didn’t have to this Friday. There is creativity in the tiniest of places. I like how the artist is inspired by their art instead of a big time gallery showcasing their wares. Waterloo is intimate and quietly off the beaten path. If you haven’t attended any art galleries on Waterloo, I suggest you do.

Maria Neil Art Project
Hilary Gent: After Math - March 7 - April 19, 2014

Waterloo Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment