Thursday, October 24, 2013

Gulp. Book Review


My fascination with the human body led me to read, “Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal.” I learned about the amazing salivary gland (we generate two to three pints of saliva daily), flatus (gas), the stomach and the colon. This book is not for those individuals with a weak stomach; Mary Roach gets into the “gross” stuff with brilliance. You want to learn more even though it’s not pleasant at times. For example, one chapter she discusses how we in the U.S. eat the meaty (normal) parts of the animal but neglect the organ meats or “offal” or “glandular” meats that is loaded with essential Vitamins, A and C. It’s these little “tidbits” of knowledge that is told with humor and interest that sold me on this book.

The Alimentary Canal is an area of the body that a lot of people probably wouldn’t attempt research for a book. Bluntly, food is eaten, broken down then expelled. Every human body works the same if your squeamish or not; I’m even more amazed about my body as I finished this book. Here are just a few details I picked up.


Eating Prejudices

We don’t eat organ meat because by the time we are 10 years old, our prejudices are set and it is hard to change them; we eat what our parents cook for us. As I read this chapter, I remember thinking that when I was a child living in a Greek household, I loved spinach and I was embarrassed to tell anyone. Now, it’s in the grocery stores in clear cellophane packages that is rich in iron. My parents ate more obscure, organ delicacies: lamb’s brain that is made during the Easter Holiday. I am not usually fussy about food, but I didn’t attempt that wild fare. I did, however, eat tripe (stomach lining from farm animals) while my sister and I visited Italy. We both thought, why not! I must admit, it was terrific.

If people just tried stuff without scrutinizing everything, then we wouldn’t have to waste so much food. I remember sitting at a restaurant and the waiter mentioned they’re special “goat cheeks.” My friend nodded and said, “No thank you.” It didn’t sound bad to me. Several years ago, I visited a friend’s house and she had chilled tongue. She offered me a slice and I took it gladly. It was wonderful. I’ll try anything.

 
Saliva

Saliva has anti-clumping properties, which discourage bacterial from forming colonies on the teeth and gums.” Moreover, I often use my saliva to clean a wound by sucking it. It has cleaning properties that can be done effectively if you spill something on your shirt.

Saliva breaks down food but interestingly it also balances the pH in your mouth. The author writes; if you taste vinegar or anything acidic, the saliva will increase until the mouth is regulated in a safe pH. Genius!

As a Greek, the end of the chapter talks about Greeks spitting to get rid of the evil eye. I do remember that growing up. They might not actually spit but go through the motions, by saying, “ftou ftou ftou,” which I thought was great that the author included this little bit of out-of-the-ordinary history. Another special feature of this book, researching other cultures that relates to “saliva” in a nontraditional way.


The Colon

This was probably the most interesting part of the book for me because I’m too familiar with bouts of constipation. Quite frankly, it’s not a laughing matter. You feel bloated and not comfortable because the food that you ate a few days ago is still “stuck” in your colon. Everyone’s heard that Elvis died on the toilet, but he had horrible problems with constipation. His doctor said, “His girth fluctuated between big and stupendous. He was pushing and pushing. Holding his breath” (p. 296-297). The author describes the “megacolon” that is a monstrosity that is on display at the Mütter Museum, in Philadelphia. If you think about it: if something is wrong with your body such as not being able to expel fecal matter, then it adjusts by increasing the size of the colon so the material stays in tact. The body adjusts when it has to survive. I also learned that you can die by struggling and straining in the bathroom or “defecation-associated sudden death.” Admittedly, I got a little nervous about that tidbit.

Research, and detailed notes about our bodies kept me reading. I was awestruck by it all. I can keep going about all the interesting facts and research that Mary Roach did for this book. So when you have gas in your system it’s called “flatus” for one; second, it’s methane build up where the body regulates what it needs to do to keep us on track. I am amazed with all the things that can go wrong with the body and it seems to work perfectly most of the time.

As 2013 is nearing the end, I give “Gulp,” an enthusiastic thumbs up as a good, factual read that stunned me and caused me pause at times.

 
Mary Roach, “Gulp. Adventures on the Alimentary Canal”

Science News - Book Review https://www.sciencenews.org/article/gulp

No comments:

Post a Comment